Buying Gold? You Need To Read This To Find Out What Does Karat In Gold – Cash Converters Singapore

Buying Gold? You Need To Read This To Find Out What Does Karat In Gold Symbolize!

Posted by Cash Converters Singapore on

What does karat in gold symbolize?

Gold trading have been around for many decades. Have you ever wonder what is the difference between the different karat of gold available in the market? If you are looking to purchase gold, you will need to read this article to find out more and to make sure that you know what you are buying. At Cash Converters, most of the time you would be able to find gold in forms of jewellery and accessories in our store.

What is the difference between the different Karats of gold? 
Basically karat is a term used to measure the gold content or the purity of gold. It is a unit used for measuring purity of gold. The higher the karatage, the purer the gold. 


24K gold
24k gold is 100% gold. It is also called pure gold. Which means this is pure gold without any trace of other metal. It is known to be 99.9% pure gold. It comes in a form of distinctive bright yellow colour. There is no higher form of gold then 24k. It is usually more expensive then 22k or lower karatage gold. It is not suitable for making jewellery as it is softer and pliable. It is commonly being traded as coins or as gold bar. 24k gold is also used in electronics and medical devices. 


22K gold
22K gold is commonly used in jewellery making. Out of the 100%, only 91.67% is pure gold. the other 8.33% comprises of other metal such as silver, sinc, nikel and other metal alloys. The addition of these metal makes the texture 22K gold harder and hence making the jewellery made out of 22K gold more durable. 


18K gold
18K gold is 75% gold mixed with 25 per cent of other metals like copper or silver etc. Usually studded jewellery and other diamond jewellery is made in 18K gold. This kind of gold is less expensive compared to 24K and 22K. This one has a slightly dull gold colour. Recogizing 18K jewellery is rather simple – you will see the item stamped with 18K, 18Kt, 18k or a variation similar to these. At times, 18K gold is marked by 750, 0.75 or a stamp similar to these in order to symbolise that the jewellery contains 75% gold.

The Different Colours of Gold
24 karat gold has the natural warm colour of pure gold and its colour cannot be changed without changing the purity to less than 24 k. Other colours of gold can be made by changing the composition of the alloy in the making of the jewellery. Pink gold for example is made by adding more copper in the alloy composition of the gold. Likewise Green gold is more of zinc and silver and white gold is more of nickel. A surface colour can also be given to gold articles by electro-plating. However this can only be a surface finish and will be worn off over a period of time.

A quick reference for buyers who are interested in buying gold:
24 karat is 100% gold or Pure gold

22 karat is 91.7 % gold
18 karat is 75.0 % gold
14 karat is 58.3 % gold
12 karat is 50.0 % gold
10 karat is 41.7 % gold


Browse all jewellery online here
Browse our online catalogue
Read other articles on our website. 
Find out how to sell your unwanted items here
Visit our Cash Converters Store today. 

 

Related Posts


Share this post



← Older Post Newer Post →

Related Posts